Do you feel like you need a break? A real break? That’s probably because you do! 2020 has been a challenging year, burnout is higher as we juggle our personal and private lives day to day and there is the uncertainty of whether a holiday is possible, or even appropriate.
However you choose to take some time off, here are some tips on making the most of it and ensuring you take proper time to re charge.
- Out of office message – may seem simple but I have found people are far more accepting of your lack of availability when you personalise it. You may want to have a very different internal one to external. For example, ‘I am away until xxx enjoying some uninterrupted time with my family, in my absence please contact xxx’
- Your internal one may say something similar, but with extra info like ‘on my return I will not read any internal emails I am only cc’d on, if it is really important I know the information please send it to me directly’… Make sure you block your calendar for the first half day you are back too!
- Set up an internal CC inbox– This means all emails you are only cc’d on go to a separate inbox, which as per your out of office you are not under pressure to review. In my experience, if you are cc’d its part of an ongoing conversation which will have been resolved by the time you return.
- Buddy with someone and properly handover (links, detailed information). When covering for someone, it’s important to remember that they are also doing their day job, a Word document with proper notes, links etc is very handy to have open daily so you don’t need to search for the info you need. Remember also, if you are buddying with someone they will look after your work as well as you look after theirs, so you can both relax more.
- Take your emails off your phone, as well as LinkedIn, Twitter, etc- Remove and reinstall on your return, you do not need them where you are going. We have all given in to the urge to click the mail app, then lose sleep over something you saw which you can do nothing about whilst up a mountain somewhere.
- Book somewhere with no phone reception, pre 5G- We all need digital downtime, pre 5G where we will get connectivity anywhere take advantage of this last bit of peace, it will not be around forever 😊
- Do as many different things as possible– On a recent week off, I had a 4-day bike ride, 3 days family camping followed by a few days in my hometown, pottering I think it is called. Felt more like a month so as much as you are tired, pack your agenda with different things to do to really take a proper mental break.
Overall, yourself and the people around you need to understand and accept that for you to be your best, you need a break, so be bold and take one without guilt, you have earned it.
Throughout August, we will be following our own advice, so if you get an OOO, rest assured the person who you speak too will have had a proper handover and is available to assist you in any way you need.
Have a great summer,
Jake Maxwell, Commercial Manager, LiveTime Learning Ltd